The INTERNATIONAL UNION OF MICROBIOLOGICAL SOCIETIES (IUMS) (www.iums.org/) is one of 40
Scientific Unions and Associations of the International Science Council (ISC).
I Objectives and Composition of the IUMS (as ratified by the General Assembly 2014 in Montreal)
C1 The objectives of the International Union of Microbiological Societies are to:
- Promote the study of microbiological sciences internationally;
- Initiate, facilitate and coordinate research and other scientific activities which involve international cooperation;
- Promote the publication of international study and research;
- Promote the organization of international conferences, symposia and meetings and assist in the publication of their reports;
- Represent microbiological sciences in the International Council of Scientific Unions and maintain contact with other international organizations.
C2 The Union is composed of Divisions, each concerned with a major microbiological science. The Divisions are administratively responsible for Committees, Commissions and Federations (hereafter referred to as COMCOFs), each concerned with a particular aspect of microbiology, and for organization of the scientific programs of their triennial Congresses.
C3 Affiliation to the Union is in three categories
* Member Societies (see Bylaw B26);
* Associate Societies (National and International) (see Bylaw B27);
* Supporting Organizations (see Bylaw B28).
- Membership in the first two categories is open to societies or institutions: having major interests and activities in microbiology, having a membership of at least 20 microbiologists and holding at least one open scientific meeting a year. Membership in the third category is open to other organizations or individuals interested in the aims of the Union
- In each country, there is a National Committee which is appointed by the Member Society if there is only one such Society or is mutually agreed upon by the Member Societies if there are two or more. The principal objective of the National Committee is to maintain contact between the Union and the member Societies and to represent them in the Union.
C4 Throughout this Constitution, Member Society denotes any Member Society in a country, regardless of its
relation to the National Committee (see Bylaws B25, B26, B27 and B28).
C21 Annual dues from the National Committees are determined on a pro rata basis that depends on the number of microbiologists in the Member Societies who are resident in that country at the end of each year. The total dues are ordinarily not less than a minimum value. Details are stated in B19.
C22 Arrears in dues payment are managed as follows:
- A National Committee which has not paid dues in full may be deemed by the Executive Board as ineligible to
send a voting delegate to a General Assembly or Divisional Council.
- A National Committee which has not paid its dues in full for three successive years, on notice being given by
the Secretary-General, is regarded as having resigned. The three uncollected annual payments will ordinarily be regarded as debts outstanding for up to three years.
C23 The Executive Board may accept financial support from Supporting Organizations, governments, international agencies and other appropriate sources.
The IUMS consists of three divisions
- Bacteriology & Applied Microbiology (BAM)
- Mycology & Eukaryotic Microbiology (MEM)
In the Statutes of the ICSP (see: doi.org/10.1099/ijsem.0.003117), membership in the ICSP shall be Full Members, Co-opted Members and Life Members. Each Member Society of the BAM Division of IUMS is entitled to appoint one Full Member to the ICSP, by means of a letter to the Executive Secretary of the ICSP. Full Members may be appointed at any time. When a Society ceases to be a member of the BAM division of the IUMS, its appointed representative shall continue to be a Full Member until the end of the term.
Publications of the IUMS
International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology (IJSEM)
An official publication of the BAM division of the IUMS and the ICSP. IJSEM, formerly International Journal Of Systematic Bacteriology (IJSB), is the official journal of record for novel prokaryotic taxa. IJSEM is published by the Microbiological Society (www.microbiologyresearch.org/). The Editor-in-Chief is Professor Martha E. Trujillo, University of Salamanca, Spain.
International Journal of Food Microbiology
An official journal of the International Committee on Food Microbiology and Hygiene (ICFMH) of the IUMS. Publisher: Elsevier; Editor-in-Chief: Dr. Luca Cocolin, University of Turin, Italy.
An official journal of the MEM division of the IUMS. Publisher: Springer Nature B.V.;
Editor-in-Chief: Dr. Vishnu Chaturvedi, University of Albany School of Public Health, USA.
World Journal of Microbiolgy & Biotechnology
An official journal of the IUMS and the MIRCEN Network. Publisher: Springer Nature B.V.;
Editor-in-Chief: Professor Peter J. Large, University of Hull, UK.
*****The next IUMS Congress and General Assembly will be in Rotterdam, The Netherlands, 18-22 July 2022